Random thoughts of a pink-eyed road warrior
I had to drive to Texas and back this week. All part of moving home, it’s a long story that I won’t bore you with. But I had to drive 1300 miles in a couple of days, and my mind got to wandering a time or two …
- Why do you never see a police speed trap when it is raining?
- Texas road kill – skunk, armadillo, hound dawg.
- There are way too many Country radio stations in Texas to be considered healthy.
- What’s whith that Mexican music? It sounds like a mixture between Spanish and Bavarian … Flamenco meets lederhosen, Spanish guitar meets oompah!
- Ohh that Cajun stuff in Louisiana is just as odd.
- So what do American road builders have against corners?
- … and why do they make the roads out of concrete and Teflon?
- I hate cruise-control-induced synchronised driving. There is absolutely no sense in ‘overtaking’ another car ar the rate of 1 inch per fortnight!
- Fountain drinks in gas stations. Amazing. A 3 pint ‘cup’ of Coke costs about $1.20. That’s less than 75p in real money. I wish they would learn how cheap these drinks are in Britain, and then install them in service stations everywhere – and stop charging £3 (about $5.40) for one pint of the stuff in the pubs!!!!
- What’s with the temperature here??? 80 farenheit in February!
- Is there really any need for those heeeeeeeeuuuuuuuge trucks just to go to Walmart?
- Looks like CB radio technology here has not moved on 20 years … they’re still using Firesticks and k40s. Wow.
- Why don’t the police cars get a proper paint job over here?
- MacDonald’s burgers really do taste the same everywhere.
- Waffle House is the perfect on-the-road junk food!
- There may be 12000 radio stations between Mississippi and Texas, but the ones that do not play Country seem to have only 12 songs that they share between them.
- … and about 237 adverts.
- Armadillos really are ugly – but it sure seems hard to crush them.
- You can smell a squashed skunk from about a mile away!
- The trees are budding everywhere.
- There seem to be little clumps of miniature Daffodils wherever I look.
- The City of Martindale, Polulation 691. That’s not a city, it’s a friggin’ hamlet!
- But it has its own police force of 2 and they are hot on speeders! … nothing else to do, and they need to earn their own pay somehow.
- If you are ever in the region of San Marcos in Texas you must try Mamacita’s
mexican restaurant. They have a machine there in the restaurant that churns out fresh tortillas all day. Yummmmm. Fresh-baked tortillas. Oh heaven.
- And the HEB store around the corner has the same. You can buy fresh hot tortillas all day.